MAS Newsletter Spring 2020
The hope that spring brings and the solace that creativity offers will see us through this unprecedented time.
I’m writing to you from my art studio which, these days, feels more like a survivalist bunker in light of the Covid-19 outbreak that has truly been a life-altering experience for all of us. We hope you, your loved ones, and your friends are all safe and healthy. These are unusual and unprecedented times, causing much anxiety, uncertainty and, for some, pain; we have been ordered to “Stay home”, to social distance and to hunt for toilet paper often to no avail. On a personal hygiene level, yes we may be washing our hands the most we ever have in our lives, however, many of us are wearing our pj’s all day long, perhaps growing our hair long, sporting beards and re-discovering our natural hair color! Some of us may feel the cabin fever setting in. These are challenging times indeed, but it may also be a time to re-evaluate and transform our lives, to re-assess and overcome this crisis. Through our art, we can stay connected and “create” our way through this historic pandemic that we are all living through. This newsletter will inform you of our regular offerings, many of which are postponed due to the Coronavirus “Stay Home Order” and we will give you more information as we receive it from the State of CT and the Town of Madison. In addition, this newsletter will provide you with a list of some online art options to entertain, educate and accompany you through the long days that are blending into each other!
Since The Coronavirus outbreak may be foremost on our minds, please take a look at some of the artistic remedies to the pandemic; offerings to bring us together and remind us that we can stay connected and be artistically productive during these isolating circumstances.
Check these out:
- Go to MAS website, madisonartsociertyct.org, to our new gallery, “Creations While in Quarantine”. Send 1 image of your work per week to firstname.lastname@example.org, and she will curate this new online gallery. You can also view other MAS members’ artwork, which will be uploaded weekly.
- Go to MAS Face Book to view weekly artwork by MAS artists. Send 1 jpeg image per week to Bev Schirmeier, email@example.com, and she will curate the gallery, “Creations While in Quarantine”. You can also view other members’ artwork in this gallery on Face Book.
- Thursday, April 22 ,10am-12pm, Join our ZOOM Demo with oil painter Jacqui Jones. You must RSVP to Marianne Dietz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 11th, 6-8pm, Watercolor artist Alan James, may possibly be switched to a ZOOM Demo, TBD.
- www.everythingartct.com -New website created by our own Linda McCarthy and Marianne Dietz. EVERYTHING ART…CONNECTICUT is a source for Artists, Art Lovers, Art Organizations, Galleries, Suppliers, Services, as well as a resource for events, workshops, classes and more. Fantastic job, ladies!! Check it out!
- Picardstudio.com- How to Overcome Fear and Anxiety- Join 400 others artists for a #create30challenge. Paint 30 paintings in 30 days. Contact Alain to jump in!
- Facebook Live –Streamline Art Video- offers live demos and classes by well-known artists.
- Creative Arts Workshop in New Haven, creativeartsworkshop.org, is offering free ZOOM classes.
- alanjamesart.com – Watercolor Cityscape Demo
- Jacquelinejones.com– sign up for classes on line
- Paul Foxton on Youtube- a painting a week. Plus Friend him on FaceBook to see some free videos
- Comic Relief- Chris Mann parodies– a musical artist, Broadway singer and actor who has promised to make a new a parody a week while we “Stay at Home” until it is over. He already has 40 million views on some of these! He has become an international viral sensation. ALERT rated R – CONTAINS SOME PROFANITY, so be forewarned, however, in light of the situation we find ourselves in, you may welcome the levity!
Being a member of MAS provides you, first and foremost, with a network of like-minded, art –loving, creative people with whom you can spend time and exchange ideas about your artistic endeavors. Membership also give you access to art exhibition opportunities with cash prizes, art receptions, demos, critiques, lectures, your website linked to the MAS website, en plein air and indoor painting programs, and so much more! While we sit out our regular activities while in the Coronavirus “Stay Home Order”, we can look forward to getting back together when this passes, to do what we most love together-appreciate and create art! If you change your contact information please notify Alyssa at Alyssa.email@example.com.
MAS Newsletter/MAS Online
During the “Stay Home Order” Jen Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org and Beverly Schirmeier, email@example.com, will accept one painting per week, with your name, medium and title of the piece, which they will post to both the MAS website and MAS Face Book in our newly created on-line galleries, aptly named, “Creations While in Quarantine”. Send your information to them and you can then view all of the artwork online. Our newsletters will continue to be posted on our website each quarter, madisonartsocietyct.org, and sent via email to keep you informed of the latest developments.
Winter Studio was coordinated by Cheryl Sorensen and Elena Gerard. Twenty-one artists met at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Madison for almost 10 through the winter months. Week after week the artists gathered, created breathtaking paintings and critiqued each other’s works. Unfortunately, due to the Coronavirus pandemic, we had to cancel the last 2 classes for everyone’s safety.
45th Annual Member Show
The Member Show is one of our highlight events of the year. This year it was held at the Henry Carter Hull Library in Clinton. Congratulations to Janine Robertson and Jim Durkin, the Member Show co-chairs, for organizing this show! Also, thank you to all members who were part of the organizational committees which made this show possible. The Popular Award was selected by the attendees of the reception and it turned out to be a 5-way tie! This year the $100 prize was shared by the five winners below:
Deborah Greco- Morning Frost
Linda McCarthy-The Brass
Amy Fissell- Green Spring
Barbara Rossitto- Le Maestro
Beautiful work from every artist that exhibited in the show and a big congratulations to our Popular Award winners!!!
Town Hall Artists
Town Hall Artists are coordinated by Steven Pynn, firstname.lastname@example.org. Two MAS artists share the space and hang roughly 6 paintings for two months. The featured Town Hall Artists for March/April are Liz Attebery and Maude Schmidt. Please go to our website, madisonartsocietyct.org to view images of their paintings. The exhibit will likely be extended into May due to the Coronavirus “Stay Home Order”. Further information will be provided as it becomes available from the town and the State of CT. Cindy Taylor and Hilary Griffin will be the featured Town Hall Artists for May/June, but exact dates TBD. Contact Steve immediately to sign-up to exhibit your work and Jennifer Corcoran, our publicity chair, email@example.com, to have your bio and art images published in the local newspapers.
Plein Air Paint-Outs
Linda Marino has offered to organize this popular MAS outdoor painting group. As always, we will venture out on Wednesdays, May-August, but check the MAS website, madisonsocietyct.org, for a posting of exact dates and locations. We will post the Plein Air calendar on the website and send an email with the calendar when we get more information from the State of CT and the Town of Madison.
Demos/Art Lectures are being organized by Marianne Dietz, who has already filled our 2020 calendar with wonderful artist events for us to look forward to. Please see our schedule below, and on the website, madisonartsocietyct.org. Due to the virus there have been some changes to the schedule. Next week please join our ZOOM Demo.
- Wednesday April 22, 10am-12pm, Oil painter Jacqui Jones on Zoom. To join this ZOOM Demo you must RSVP Marianne Dietz, firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your space and get an invitation to the event. So easy to do, give it a try! Jacqui Jones is an award winning oil painter, and an elected member of countless professional art leagues and organizations. She has been painting since the age of 12 and earned a BFA in Painting from the Lyme Academy College of Fine Art and an Associate Degree in Illustration from the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale. She most often paints en plein air, participating in many national plein air competitions, and her paintings summon ephemeral moments which are inspired by nature, using a rich color palette and lively brush work. She teaches oil paintings in various locations in CT, among them, Lyme Art Association, Glastonbury and Marlborough Arts as well as drawing classes at the Hillstead Museum.
- June 11th, 6-8pm, at the Madison Senior Center, watercolor artist Alan James. We may change his Watercolor Demo to a ZOOM Demo, if the “Stay Home Order” is still in place.
- Thursday August 13th 6-8pm, Courtney Long , Art History Dept. Yale University
- Wednesday, September 30th, 6-8p , Laurie Pavlos , Ex. Dir. Of Lyme Art Association
The MAS Juried Show 2020
The MAS Juried Show 2020 will hopefully be held in August, back at our-long-time home, The Scranton Library ,in the brand new gallery spaces that were built with MAS artists in mind. A July 1st 2020 Ribbon Cutting for the newly reconstructed Scranton Library is planned, however, due to the Coronavirus “Stay Home Order” we will wait for further information from the State of CT, the Town of Madison and the Scranton Library for further details. For now, here is what we are aiming for:
Receiving: Saturday, August 1st , 9:30am-12pm
Hanging: Saturday, August 1st , 12:30pm-3pm
Reception: Thursday, August 6th , 6-8pm
Pick up: Saturday, August 29th , 10-12pm
MAS Art Festival Summer Tent Show and Sale
We are striving to hold a show and sale this summer in downtown Madison, however, due to the “Stay Home Order” we await further information from the State of CT and The Town of Madison, therefore date and location TBD.
Elected Artist Show
For members that have earned Elected Member status (meaning 2 works of art have been accepted into Juried Shows within a 5 year period).
Receiving: Saturday, October 3rd, 2020, 9:30-12pm
Hanging: Saturday, October 3rd, 12:30pm – 3pm
Reception: Thursday, October 8th, 6-8pm
Pickup: Saturday, October 31st, 10am – 12pm
Artists in the News/Creations While In Quarantine
Please go to our website, madisonartsociertyct.org, to see which artists are making a big splash in the news. Please understand, we may not have the most current information on the website because of the current “Stay Home Order”. However, every member can make a splash by submitting one work per week to be posted in our new website gallery, “Creations while in Quarantine” . Submit by Wednesdays to email@example.com.
The MAS Board of Directors knows how difficult this past month has been and that we are still in for many more weeks ahead of social distancing, isolation and a new reality. If you or a loved one has gotten sick or you have lost a loved one from the Coronavirus, please accept our deepest condolences on behalf of the MAS Board of Directors. Please use the networks of MAS artists and friends as/or a support system. Access the online opportunities to connect with other artists and email me, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call me at 203-536-0341 for any reason at all. Please Stay Home and stay connected to MAS. We look forward to creating beautiful art together again soon!
President, Madison Art Society